I came across a simulation of the Physarum Polycephalum (slime mold) on the website of Sage Jenson. I immediately felt in love with the patterns emerging from this simulation, and knew I had to try it. The model of the simulation is described in a paper published by Jeff Jones, Characteristics of pattern formation and evolution in approximations of Physarum transport networks. These are the very first results I got with the simulation.
It was also the occasion to try a visual effect I had in mind for a while now: mimic the blur effect we observe when using an optical microscope. In that matter, I used 2 different layers of the simulation, and I used a Perlin Noise to simulate different areas being affected differently by the bokeh blur. This is not in any way a realistic simulation of the effect, but I got great visual results from this technique.